Hello English world! As you know, idioms and expressions in English are a big deal…
Now, before we get onto the exercise I’d like to clarify something first. What is the difference between an expression (often referred to as phrase) and an idiom? Most people confuse the two (I am guilty of that myself), which is not that big of a deal, but since we are on the topic, let’s make this clear once and for all!
Here is what the dictionary says:
- Idiom – a group of words in a fixed order that have a particular meaning that is different from the meanings of each word on its own
- Expression/phrase – a short group of words that are often used together and have a particular meaning
To put it simple, the phrase is a lot more simple to understand without the actual meaning. The idiom tends to be more metaphorical (ex: raining cats and dogs…that does not happen LITERALLY) while the expression of phrase is less colourful and figurative (ex: even if you don’t know the expression, you can always guess what “to give a dirty look” means, or at least close).
So I have put together a little quiz with some common or very useful idioms and expressions, all levels mixed). Let’s see how many you get right!
- A penny _____ your thoughts.
- Drastic times call for drastic __________.
- The grass is always greener on the other side of the ________.
- Would you be so ______ as to forward the email once more, please.
- She looked so happy when I told her the news. She was smiling from _____ to ear.
- Why the long _______?
- I don’t feel ready for next week’s exam…I should really _______ the books today.
- At first, I thought Henry looked weird, but I guess you should never judge a book by its ______ because he turned out to be the nicest person I know.
- Not getting the promotion was actually a _______ in disguise as I was contacted by another company and they offered me a much more interesting position.
- A good carpenter will not cut _____ and buy cheap wood just to save a bit of money.
- I know Martha looks guilty but we should give her the _______ of the doubt.
- I am never sick. Maybe once in a blue _______ but that’s about it.
- Man, this exam was way too easy. It was a piece of ______.
- My brother and I don’t really see eye to _____. We disagree about just everything.
- How could you afford a Ferrari? They cost an _____ and a leg!
So….How many did you answer correctly? It wasn’t that easy right?! I hope you enjoyed this post, I haven’t really posted quizzes like this before. Would you like more?
That’s it for today guys…Keep on learning! Xoxo
If you want to help me create more content more regularly, please consider helping me with just a coffee. Ko-fi is a website that gives you the possibility to power me with lots of energy by offering me a coffee. It’s easy, simple, no engagement is required…Just a bit of help, love and support from you to me.
Here is the link to my ko-fi account: Ko-fi My little English Page